Monday, August 31, 2009

Kenora ... finally

Today felt a lot longer than yesterday and was definitely more frustrating!

We travelled from Marathon to Kenora, which according to Google maps is 770km, but since we took a couple side trips, like the Sleeping Giant, it seemed a lot longer than that. We left Marathon at 6am and headed for Kenora, planning on stopping at the Ouimet Canyon, the Sleeping Giant and the Terry Fox Memorial. We managed to hit all three.

The sun was just rising when we left Marathon and the view was beautiful. A light fog had settled over most of the lakes and an orange glow from the rising sun made the early morning drive pretty enjoyable. Well, I enjoyed it, Jasper slept through most of it. I also saw a couple foxes and a bald eagle that morning, but thankfully, no moose. I was pretty glad that I was heading west as the sun was rising behind me and it was BRIGHT! Also, in my sleep deprived state, I discovered that the shadow of my car looked like Shrek. At that point, after I stopped giggling, I decided it was time to stop for caffeine.

Our first stop was Ouimet Canyon. It was beautiful, and made all the more amazing by the fact that we were there at 9am and were the only people there. Its a long steep drive up to the canyon and then a short walk out to the cliff face. Its pretty amazing that these kind of places exist. next we were going to go to Eagle Canyon and walk across Canada's longest suspension bridge but when we got there, the guy was incredibly rude to us so we left ... ass!

Next we headed to the Sleeping Giant which was about 30km off the Trans-Canada. We saw three deer, one of them about 2 feet from the car. Luckily they looked pretty used to seeing cars and didn't make any attempt to jump out in front of me. The Sleeping Giant was cool and we went down to the beach and Jasper made some new friends. We were just standing by the edge of the lake and these two ducks came over and walked right up to him then proceeded to follow him around for the next 10 minutes. It was really very strange, but cute at the same time.

Our final tourist stop was the Terry Fox Memorial ... I did another full post on it so you should really read that.

After, we headed straight for Kenora with a short stop in Dryden for a stretch and to introduce Jasper to Dairy Queen. He was in heaven. I proceeded to have ice cream melt all over me ... sigh!

Tomorrow we are off to Winnipeg! I'm super excited to finally be out of Ontario! YAY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh before you leave Kenora stop at the giant Muskie!!!!!!! It's 30m tall and very frightening. It is on the lake of woods right downtown past the roundabout...yes the roundabout :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the blog sweetie....it does sound like you are a bit tired at times. Have you let Jasper drive yet? Tell him a good navigator is supposed to stay awake.

    ReplyDelete